Tuesday, January 14, 2014

No Bake Granola Bar

Well, I always thought that store bought granola bars are super healthy and used to have it almost every afternoon during my coffee time. Till I became a little more learned about real food and started reading labels. Realizing how much junk were present in them, I did quit. Of course, I knew I can make them at home but never thought them to be this easy. So I kept missing my granola bars unless my colleague and friend share her super easy no bake granola bar recipe. Thanks dear C for the recipe. I tweaked a bit here and there to serve my taste. Its delicious and an obvious keeper.


Ingredients

Oats - 2 and 1/2 cup
Flax seeds - 1/4 cup
Dry fruits - 1/2 cup
Nuts - 1/2 cup ( I used cashews and almonds)
Brown sugar - 1/4 cup (You can use table sugar also)
Butter - 2 tablespoon
Honey - 1/3 cup
Nutella - 2 tablespoon (Optional)
Vanilla - 1/2 teaspoon

Dry roast oats and flax seeds in a pan for 2-3 minutes. If you wish you can dry roast the nuts too.

In a pan, melt sugar, honey, butter and nuttella. Add the vanilla to it.


Add all the dry fruits and nuts to the roasted oats and flax seeds mix.


Add the butter mix to the dry mix and mix it well. Place an aluminium foil on the baking tray and grease it well. 

Add the mixture to it and press it real tight. (I used my hand, a bit gross I know, you can use a rubber spatula). But press it for 2 minutes atleast. Yes, I used a timer, it does makes a difference.


Freeze it for 2-3 hours. Take it out, and cut it according to your choice.


I cut it up in different sizes for my different hunger pangs.


It is not as hard as the store bought ones, a little fragile but absolutely holds in shape. Trick is the pressing part.

And the best thing is that I know what I am eating!


Enjoy.



This last image is converted in black and white and is my contribution for this week's Black and White Wednesday. BWW is an amazing culinary event of black and white photographs started by Susan of The Well Seasoned Cook and now managed by Cinzia of Cindystar blog. This week it is hosted by Pocketfull Of Spices, yeah, that's me. For participation details, see here.

2 comments:

  1. Sanhita, were these quick cooking oats? I was looking for a recipe that didn't call for old fashioned rolled oats. The bars look yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Priya! Yeah, these are regular quick cooking oats. I think, I should update that in the recipe. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete