Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Egg Less Zebra Cake in Microwave

I really miss baking. Not that I was/am very pro at baking, but for some unknown reasons I love to bake. I say unknown reasons because my Maa never liked baking and there was not much baking around when I was growing up!!!! This love for baking is the reason why I miss my old kitchen and my oven in particular. I am yet to get an oven for my new kitchen ( I know, I have said this for nth time).

The other day, when I came across this recipe of zebra cake (heard/read it for the first time) in Aparna's wonderful blog, my hands started to itch to bake. So, what did I do? I baked, but..........in a microwave.

I modified the recipe a bit, particularly in terms of amount of the ingredients, and baked it in a microwave. The baking took way less time than arranging the stuffs. This is actually a third cake that I baked in the microwave. I am slowly getting used to it. Now, I warn you, don't even expect the same result in a oven bake and microwave baked cake. I really miss the darkened, little crispy top layer of a oven baked cake. But, trust me, the cake turned out pretty well, soft and moist, and can be enjoyed with tea, coffee or ice-cream. The name of the cake might intimidate you, but it is super easy to make. And it is egg less too!!

  
Ingredients:
(Makes a 7 inch round cake)

For Orange Batter

All purpose flour - 1/2 cup
Baking Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Salt - 1/4 teaspoon
Sugar - 1/3 cup
Orange Juice - 1/3 cup
Vinegar - 1/4 teaspoon
Oil - 1 and 1/2 tablespoon

For Chocolate Batter

All purpose flour - 1/2 cup
Baking Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Salt - 1/4 teaspoon
Sugar - 1/3 cup
Cocoa Powder - 1 and 1/2 tablespoon
Milk - 1/3 cup
Vinegar - 1/2 teaspoon
Oil - 1 and 1/2 tablespoon
Vanilla essence - 1/2 teaspoon

Mix the batter separately in two bowls. Do not beat, just fold in. I mixed the dry stuffs first followed by the wet ingredients.




 Take a big spoon full of batter and add it to the middle of the cake bowl. Let it spread on its own. I started with the chocolate batter. Add a spoon full of the alternate batter and add it to the middle of the first batter. Again, do not spread it. Let it spread on its own.

It will look somewhat like this.

Repeat the steps until the batter is over.

Put it in microwave and bake it for 5 minutes. Let it sit in the microwave for 5 minutes more before you take it out. I cooked it in the microwave mode and not in the convection mode.

The cake turned out to be soft and moist and very yummy.


And the stripes looked good too.


This is really a super easy cake to make and do not need anything fancy. And completely egg less!!!

Have fun at tea time.

No comments:

Post a Comment